Marriages & Ceremonies

Do you want to book:


Notice must be given at least 28 days before the date of the marriage/civil partnership
Have you booked an appointment for the Ceremony with the Register Office?  
Please book a date for your ceremony and for the Registrars to attend to register your marriage, before booking an appointment to give notice of marriage. Telephone 0161 770 8960
Are you getting married/ having a civil partnership
ceremony in the next 12 months?
Notice of marriage or civil partnership can only legally be given by both parties a maximum of 12 months before the date.
If the marriage or civil partnership is to take place in the next two years make a booking for the ceremony instead if you have not already done so.
Otherwise try again within 12 months to the date of the ceremony.
Your name:    help?
Your partner's name:   
Please contact the registrar for the area in which you live.
You must make an appointment with a designated register office.
Manchester RO Tel: 0161 234 5005
Blackurn Tel: 01254 588660

Couples must both give notice in person and can either choose to come together on the same date or separate times.

There is a fee of £35.00 each.

You must bring the following documentary evidence:

Birth certificate/ name change document if applicable/ passport.
Proof of marital status if previously married ie death certificate if widowed or decree absolute of divorce.

Bank statement showing current address issued in the last month OR
Utility bill showing current address issued in the last 3 months OR
Driving licence or a council tax bill showing current address issued within the last 12 months.

If you do not have a passport a full birth certificate is sufficient but if you were born after 01/01/1983 you will also need your mother’s birth certificate.

If you do not have a birth certificate but have a valid passport this is ok

We cannot take the notice without these documents and fee.

Contact telephone number:    

Use this number for text messages: I consent to Oldham Council Registrars contacting me by text message for the purpose of appointment information and reminders only.
This information is confidential and will not be shared.


If the marriage is taking place at a Church Of England Church the vicar will normally call banns and there would then be no need to give notice.
If banns not being read then continue to make the appointment.

If the marriage is taking place abroad please contact the embassy/consulate of the foreign country to enquire what documents are required before continuing with the appointment.


Appointments are only available Tuesday to Saturday

Appointment notes: (Date booked )
Add notes:

The address for the register office is:

Chadderton Town Hall
Middleton Road
Tel 0161 770 8960

To cancel an appointment click here

Click here for the Registrars Data Processing and Privacy Notices.

The council primarily use your data for handling your query. All information is processed in accordance with our organisational data protection policy ( We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent.